“I believe that we can all learn how to paint, but it is in the silent, authentic, beautiful recesses of our hearts and souls where a true masterpiece is born. True artistic skill, the courage to interpret the images of that place and bring them into the world for you to experience is my goal. Helping you to find that place within yourself is my vocation.”
Selected Exhibitions, Invitations, etc.
- 2017: May- upcoming Solo Show, New Editions Gallery, Lexington KY
- 2012-2016: Various exhibitions including International Sporting Art Auction, Keeneland, Kentucky, USA.
- 2011: Pearl Fincher Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: Art of the 137th Kentucky Derby. One-man show at the Marilyn Morgan Hillery Gallery.
- 2010-2011: Commissioned as the Official Artist of the 137th Kentucky Derby.
- 2009: Work featured at: BBC, Saatchi Gallery, London & Lancashire Life Magazine, UK.
- 2009: Ex Arte Equinus International: Horses In Art Magazine’s publishing exhibition. Winner 1st prize for painting, 3rd for drawing.
- 2005-2008: The Horse In Fine Art AAEA Traveling Exhibition: Various venues including International Museum of the Horse, Kentucky, Wildlife Experience Museum, Colorado, Aiken Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame Museum, North Carolina, U.S.
- 2008: Master of Foxhounds Association Centennial Invitational: Various venues throughout the U.S.
- 2006-2007: SEA Annual Members Exhibition: Mall Galleries, London and Palace House, Newmarket, England.
- 2006: Presented to H.R.H. Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace, London, England.
- 2004: Guest Artist/Lecturer: Amon Carter Museum, Texas, U.S.
- 2004: Silver Jubilee Invitational Exhibition: SEA, Mall Galleries, London, England.
- 2003-2004: Women Artists of the West: Nancy Raegan Museum, California, U.S.
- 2003: Queen’s Jubilee Invitational Exhibition: SEA, Christie’s International, London, England.
- 2002: Salon International: Museum of Contemporary Masters, Texas, U.S.
- 2000: AAEA 20th Anniversary Exhibition: National Sporting Library, Virginia, U.S.
- British. Primary residence Texas, U.S.A.
- Married to Larry Humphrey 33 years.
- Children: Lauren, Ashley, Christopher.
Education & the Call of Art
Art was always a part of my life, my father being a commercial artist and painter and my youth filled with artistic exploration and inspiration. After 10 years of studying and working in the legal profession, I began my journey with art professionally in 1989. Since then, my training has been directed largely by instinct.
I have traveled the world in search of art and artists that have contributed significantly to my development. I would like to credit here my generous teachers Scott Burdick, Carolyn Anderson, William ‘Skip’ Lawrence, Julia Cameron, and my most beloved mentor to whom I shall be eternally grateful, Dick Turner who taught me how to see in every way that counts. My art and its content has been deeply influenced by The Glasgow School, primarily the Glasgow Four. To a slightly lesser degree, my style has been influenced by the Russian Itinerants, Fechin, Kandinsky, and American Expressionists of the San Francisco Bay area.
Ancillary Activities & Awards
- Signature member, Artists of Texas
- Trustee, Heartlift.co.uk
- Former VP/Board Member, American Academy of Equine Art, Lexington, Kentucky
- Associate Member, Society of Equestrian Artists, London
- Member with Colours, Longacre Foxhunt Club, Flynn, Texas
- Full workshop schedule throughout the U.S.A. and the U.K.
- Lectures & Demonstrations: International Museum of the Horse, Lexington, KY; Pearl Fincher MFA, Spring, Texas; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas, Myerscough College, Burscough, Lancs., England, etc.
- Part owner of DaVinci’s Gallery, Tomball, Texas.
- 2005 Person of the Year Award, Regional Arts Council, Texas.
- 1990 Honorary Ph D for developing parent-taught art curriculum for elementary schools.
- Numerous national/international awards including: 2008 1st in painting, 3rd in drawing: Ex Arte Equinus International Competition. (Published)